Thursday, 12 January 2012

20 July 2012

It will soon be 12 months since I became a stay at home dad/student. I remember when I finished up at work that I wondered what I would so to fill in all my time. I have to admit that some has been used wisely and some no so productively. Mariah and I talked about how it might be a good opportunity to expand the family and try for another baby. I wasn't so sure, I mean I would be at school a lot, be under a lot of pressure to do well in my final year, as well as all the other responsibilities that come our way, Me in the Young Men's Presidency, and Mariah the Primary Presidency. So we decided that if it happened we would be over the moon, and if it didn't we would remain happy for the two beautiful girls that we have.

The year went on, things were great, we were happy, Mariah was developing great relationships with Kym and Leona through her morning exercise group. I was happy to be at home with the girls, getting cuddles, and helping out where and when I could. Then school started, and I was home a little less.

School was great this year. I did well in my exams, I even topped the class with one of my final assignments with an almost perfect mark. The weather was warming up and it was beginning to look a lot like camping season. We love camping. But, before camping season could begin, I had 4 exams to sit, two take home and two at school. My take home exams were both due in the first week of exams, so Mairah and the girls packed up and headed to Hobart to stay with Mairah's family so that I could have quiet while I studded.

During the time away Mariah called on numerous occasions, on this particular call she mentioned that she had to go to the shops to buy some "that time of the month stuff." It is always a little disheartening when it comes around. This time though her period was late, quite late and we thought that this might have been it.

When the girls returned home, Mariah mentioned that it wasn't just a normal period, but a miscarriage. She had found an embryo, and later, what looked to be a placenta. Mariah of course was devastated and upset. I was, in my own way saddened. Mariah received a blessing from bishop and that helped her cope. Now Mariah is not one for sharing intimate details about her life, I may be asked to pull down the post, but I believe that there are others that can relate to this and share experiences, as it is more common than people are aware. Some research suggests that up to 50% or more end in miscarriage. So for Mariah, 2 successful pregnancies out of 3 is better than what the research suggests is common. .

On the 20th of July 2012 Mariah will better those odds again when she gives birth to our third child. That is right, we are expecting another. We had our 12 week scan just this week and they say that things are fine.



Mariah has been told to rest up with this one, and do as little as possible. Her mum has been up this week helping out and getting things in order, just as the kids pull them out of order again.

All we know at this stage is that the baby is 13 weeks old, and has all the appendages that it should.

We are excited, the girls are not too sure yet what to think. We went camping with Dan and Rachelle, who are due to have a baby in a matter of weeks, so I am wondering if Hanisi is wondering why Mummy's tummy is not big like Rachelle's... it will be Hanisi, when the baby grows.

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Congratulations to the both of you. It is so much sweeter when we've had a taste of the bitter. It's so distressing when things don't work out as we hope but I hope it all goes well for you this time round. That means there will be 3 new editions to our ward this year, how cool you are all pregnant together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news guys! Sorry to hear about the miscarriage. I've been very lucky to never have had a miscarriage, but I can imagine how heart breaking it must be. It's exciting that Kym, Leona and Mariah are all pregnant together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just the best news...three more little babies in the "Perth Branch"...i vote Sam the Branch Pres, with Job and Joe as Councellors....he he he he hehehehehehehehehe!!!!!!
    dont tell Bishop he might X me....

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very 'from the heart' post Sam. Thank you for sharing such a tender post with us. You are right, there are alot of us who know exactly what you both have been through. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of my little girl and what could have been. xx

    ReplyDelete