I had my doubts, as previously mentioned the others were unsuccessful due to bacteria, and the incubator had reached some high temperatures at times. I woke at 4:30am to the crow of our rooster that didn't get locked up in his box overnight, so I checked the eggs and nothing.
We visited Mum for her birthday, and the Dr to fix my finger, and a quick visit to see Aunty Alice and Uncle Josh and their puppies. I realised that when we were out that I had forgotten to open the vent on the incubator. We do that around 10 or 11 to keep the temperature down. So naturally as soon as I got home I checked the eggs to see if the temperature was ok, and I saw to my great surprise...
Insert first Pic.
The day finally arrived, right on 21 days (gestation period for chooks).
I was so excited. I called for Mariah to come and take a look. Then she called the kids to come and have a look. It wasn't much to see for them, but we explained that there was a little chicken inside and it was trying to get out of the egg. Hanisi took it in, but Milly just wanted to pick up the eggs.
We had to go out for the rest of the afternoon, and then to Grandmas surprise birthday party. The party was great. It was good to be with the family and see how it has grown. I got to cuddle some babies that I had not cuddled yet, and see those that I had not seen in a while. But at the back of my mind was the egg.
We got home just after 8 and the first thing I did was... Check the egg.
this is what 6 hrs of work looks like. Doesn't look like much, look closer and you will see. Think of how hard we must hit an egg on a hard service to get it to crack, then you will realise that this is a lot of work for a little 21 day old thing.
As I was playing with the camera to see if there was any difference in the crack, I thought I heard something. I stopped beeping my camera and I heard........
Coming from inside the egg. A good sign, I hope. It is hard not to help the little fella, but if I do it will cause more harm than good.
So we wait. 9:00 and I and back in. I dunno if I will stay up or just wait till morning. Sunday Mornings are always a rush, so I fear that I won't be able to enjoy it as much as I could if I were awake when it decides to pop out.
2:00am. I woke in anticipation that it might be out. No such luck. It had cracked a little bit. Didn't take a photo.
6:30am, The chick has been working through the early hours of the morning.
While I was watching another small piece of the egg came off,
When we came home from church we were expecting to see our new baby chick... Not so. But it had been working hard.
The next few pics are what occurred over the next 2 hours.
| Doing a back flip for a fancy entrance in to the world. | *that is its belly button not it's bum. * |
Taking a well earned rest.
The kids were excited to see it hatch. No "Where did it come from" or "but why" questions.
This is what Milly thought of the whole situation.


No comments:
Post a Comment