Living in a small community means that you have a lot of opportunities to serve. Well that is what I thought any way. But each community is filled with opportunities to serve as a volunteer. Living in a small community just means that you are more aware of the opportunities that arise.
When I first arrived in St Helens, one of my colleagues, who is involved in just about every organisation in St Helens mentioned that she was a volunteer Ambulance Officer and also worked at the local community radio station. I mentioned that one of my goals was to become involved in the community. She said that the radio station were looking for new board members and she offered to put my name forward as a potential member.
It was approved by the board and I now attend regular meetings and help out where I can. It was from my involvement with the board and fundraising efforts that I was approached to become an announcer for the station.
I was not confident about the offer, but deep down inside I was thrilled that I would be able to have my own radio show. I came up with the name “Breakfast with the Big Fella” as the name for my show.
I started doing a regular Saturday morning show 7:30-11am, which I thoroughly enjoy. I then went on to pick up an extra shift on a Wednesday morning 6:00-8:15. This one I am not so fond of. Particularly if I don’t get a good night’s sleep the night before. (like last night).
It has been very enjoyable getting to know different people, being part of the community, a voice of the community and showing my children that you can do anything.
Hanisi has visited the station with me on a number of occasions. So much so that she has her own on air name and a small following of supporters. I have been stopped in the street on a number of occasions asking when ‘Little Chick” will be back on air. She started off by reading parts of the weather and now she reads some of the adds with me. She wishes she could have a whole show of her own, and who knows, maybe one day she will and I will be her co-host/special guest?
Mariah says that we work well together.
All the kids have been to the studio and have a look around. Milly has done a little on air time, but is a little shy to talk through the microphone.



Wow, I didnt know hanisi had her own part of the show and was called 'Little Chick", what a wonderful opportunity for her and for you sam, well done congratulations and fantastic, good on yers. fantastic.
ReplyDelete