Saturday, 1 September 2012

Fathers Day

I had to go to the doctors yesterday as I was feeling a little unwell. I was flicking through the newspaper when I came across an article titled "Fathers want more time with children." I was intrigued by the headline, so I continued to read. It was the findings of a survey that found that men are no longer so concerned with their salary, and are wanting to spend more time with their family.

I thought of my current situation and how lucky that I am that I am able to spend so much time with my children while they are young. I was saddened a little as I recognised that I often take it for granted, and do not use all the opportunities that arise.

As much as I could remember my Dad was always around, or I was around him. He and I are so much alike. We share very similar interests, we both carry the gene that prevents us from loosing our hair :), and we love to be outside.

This is my Dad with Chester a few days after he was born.
One of the fondest memories I have of a child was going wood cutting. I enjoyed going. I don't recall if I complained about going, but as far as I can remember it was a whole lot of fun.

I have been a few times since we have had our new home. I normally go with my brother, or brother in law, or by myself if no one else is around. I've always looked forward to going wood cutting with my own little family, as I know how fun it can be in the bush, with so many new and amazing things to look at.

Like lizards. 

And puddles. Muddy puddles.

Notice the snow in the background!!! Welll.......


It wasn't long before the girls discovered that these were VERY COLD muddy puddles.



I didn't take this photo, but the sequence of the events suggested that this was the moment the cold mud reached Hanisi's toes.



This looks like they were discussing how far it would be to walk home and wondering if they would make it.   **I don't know why this photo won't rotate for me.

Once the work was done, we joined together for some family photos.... well that's what I told them :)



















Then it was Mariah's turn to have a go behind the lens. She managed to get in a couple of great shots. 











Sharp shooter! not just once, but twice!




Then we both abandoned the kids.....




We did get a family photo in the end, minus Chester, who was too busy sleeping.


What day would not be complete without a silly photo!


I loved the day we had together!


We topped it off with a stop at the lookout, where Chester got out for a quick look. We live in such an amazing part of the world. 




 It was a nice day. My very first family wood cutting day!

















2 comments:

  1. Oh what great memories I have of woodcutting with you guys. No most of you loved to get out in the bush with us. Especially when nan and pop white would come to help. You always loved it Sam. I never liked it when you found and played with leeches. Steffi loved it to finding a special rock.
    I loved as a child going deep in the bush with my mum and dad to get wood. The birds and watching mum and dad use the cross saw together. One each end of the saw. The axe ringing out splitting the logs. Mums special picnic lunch a loaf of bread buttered on the bread jam spread,then a door step slice cut ,mm never tasted as good at home. Hot chocolate from the thermos. And raspberry slice . And an apple. The new chain saw made it not the same, no soft talking between mum and dad no birds calling ,just the whine of the saw.
    Good to see the 5th generation gathering wood. Have a photo of your great grandfather with his gathered wood. Memories good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha....Those photos are classic! Really good shots. That was a really nice day. I'm glad you could all enjoy the fun time together, its what families are all about and unfortunately its sometimes easy to forget or get distracted. I love the last shot of Mariah and Chester too, its really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete