Friday, 18 October 2013

Visitors at out Place

It is often a nice surprise to wake in the morning, open the blinds, and be greeted by one of this worlds amazing creatures.

This morning we said hello to a pair of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus funereus ).

The male, identified by the pink ring around his eye, was hiding in the tree tops keeping an eye out for predators.


The female, identified by a darker ring around the eye and a larger yellow cheek, remained on the ground. It looked like she was picking grubs out of the tree roots. every now and then they would squawk quietly back and forth reassuring one another that everything was ok.



They stayed long enough for us to take a few photos and be grateful that they decided to visit us today.


As Hanisi and I attempted to get closer, the male decided that it was time to tree hop. The female followed. to a tree just a few meters away.


We took these quick snaps and went inside to enjoy our own breakfast.


This is one thing that I do enjoy at our place. We have seen baby Kookaburras learn to fly from a big old gumtree at the top of our neighbours block down past our house to the trees that line our property.

last week I came home to find a wallaby under our clothes line showing off her new baby. You can just see his back in her pouch.


I wonder what we will wake up to tomorrow?

1 comment:

  1. I love it, thankyou for keeping us posted. you live in an enchanted place. toots

    ReplyDelete