Thursday, 31 October 2013

"What has been your greatest achievement?"

Recently I completed a survey at work about my experience at the Commonwealth Bank and about me and my work. One of the questions asked "What has been your greatest achievement?" For me that was easy. I wrote down that my family was my greatest achievement.

Having a family has been my greatest lesson in life. I am, and feel that I will always be, a scholar of raising children, and being a good husband.

As any student will tell you, if you want good marks you need to put in a great deal of effort. I recall my most difficult, and most busy semesters at university was also my most rewarding. I believe the same can be said for having a family. I feel the closest to my children when I am with them, helping them, playing with them, and teaching them.

This is not always possible. Work and other responsibilities often take me away from my family. I often return home to an exhausted family that are winding down and preparing for bed. In my previous job I would sometimes leave before the children were up and return when they had gone to bed. This was one of the biggest drawcards to my current position. I worked weekdays and I was home at a reasonable hour of the day. To me this is important.

Another thing that is important to me, are holidays. I love time away from work. To do things that I can't do through the working week, and just relaxing at home. I had no real plans this coming week other than attending a wedding on Friday. People were asking me, what I was going to do, and I would reply I have no idea. We have nothing planned. I very rarely make plans.

Sunday morning I was laying in my bed going through Facebook. A good friend, who served with me in Fiji had a photo of his wife holding a new baby. I had no idea that she was expecting. The last time we had spoken they were not sure what their plans were in regards to having another child. As I admired the photo and smiled that they had gone ahead and decided to have another, I recalled that there had been a comment on his wall from someone previously asking about when the twins were due.

At the time I had just passed it off as a joke between friends. Knowing what had been discussed previously, I thought there was no way that they would be going to have another baby so soon. Now I wasn't so sure. So I thought I would ask.

I was sitting in the middle of a class at church when I got a reply to my question. Rudely but quietly, I pulled out my phone in class and began to read. My heart sank as I read that they did in fact give birth to twins, but unfortunately one had passed away. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I read his note. I was filled with compassion for him and his wife for their loss. I then thought of my own children and what precious gifts they are to me.

The severity of this news was so significant to me because, another man that I served along side in Fiji had also recently lost a child. I hold both of these men in high regard. Both taught me a lot and were a great example to me during my time as a Missionary. Here they were being tested beyond my comprehension. I often think of them, wonder how they are doing, and then remind myself how grateful I should be.

The class I was in was a lesson on gratitude. I don't recall to much of what was taught, but I experienced and expressed gratitude for what I have, right there at the back of the classroom. I was grateful for the children that I had, and for the one that it on the way. I was grateful that they were healthy, and were accepting of me and my weaknesses as a dad.

I have enjoyed being with my children this week. I have enjoyed taking them to school, playing with them, reading to them and just being around them. They are wonderful children.

Striving to be a good Husband and Father to my family is my greatest achievement. Nothing will change that. I'm not sure if that was the answer work was looking for when they asked that question. But it is the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment