Monday, 20 June 2011

COWS BUM!

For half of our married life Mariah and I have lived on a student's budget and are about to venture down that path again soon. This time though we have two little ones and a mortgage. It will be an interesting time, however; will help us to become more self sufficient and be a little wiser with our money and with the things that we buy.

When we buy our meat we normally buy it in bulk and cut it up ourselves, that way we get so many cuts of meat for the one low price. It is normally just Mariah and I that get involved, but today the kids wanted to get involved, Hanisi in particular.

Helpers

The meat we brought today was Beef Rump. To help Hanisi understand where the cut of meat comes from we just call it "Cow's Bum". 
Daddy: "Hanisi, did you know that this meat is called rump? 
Hanisi: Yeah
Daddy: Hanisi, the Rump is the Cow's bum. This meat that we are cutting up comes from the Cow's bum.
Hanisi: Hmmmm... Hanisi like Cow's Bum. 

Saying this back in my mind I can hear Hanisi say those words and it makes me laugh. I will tell you a story about this at the end of the blog. 

Hanisi was our chief mincer... NO FINGERS!!
Hanisi thought this was great. She was covered in mince when she was finished. 

Mariah and Milly were the packers. 


This is our production line. First Daddy cuts it and grades it. Anything that does not look good enough to eat as steak, or strips, goes to Hanisi and then in to the mincer. 

After a while our packers packed it in.. I think Milly had had enough. So it was just Hanisi and Daddy left holding the Cow's Bum. 


At the end of it.. We had 10 or so packs of mince, a couple of Tupperware containers of steak and a couple of packs of stir fry strips. We had fun. Mincing seemed to keep Hanisi occupied and we got the job done. Thanks Family. 


So to the story of me recalling things Hanisi says. 
When we were living in our little flat in South Launceston, we discovered that Hanisi loved to jump. We didn't have the room for a trampoline, so we brought a little mini tramp. She loved it. When we moved to Perth we had loads of room, so Toots and Grandad got Hanisi and Milly a trampoline for Christmas.

Hanisi could not say trampoline, she would say Tramp a beeeeen. (The emphasis is on the Beeeen. The Beeeen started of as a normal Bee.. then increases in pitch and hold on to the eeeee then finish with a quick downward eeN   Tramp a Beeen. Anyway so I just loved it to bits when she would say it. 

When I was having bad days at work I would often go for a walk and just say Tramp a beeeen... Or if I had some time I would ring home and try and get Hanisi to say Tramp a beeen. 

After several phone calls over a few weeks Hanisi had cottoned on to what I was doing, and would say it freely. I haven't heard her say it for a while, But I have said it in my head!


2 comments: